If you are a service member, veteran, or surviving spouse of a member of our nation’s armed forces, you may qualify for a VA loan. This is an excellent opportunity to eliminate your down payment and enjoy favorable terms on a home loan.
That’s right—you could soon be moving into your dream home with zero down payment. Many Phoenix veterans and service members do not even realize that they qualify for this program and are not familiar with its benefits.
We can help you to figure out if you are eligible for a Phoenix, AZ VA Loan.
What Are the Benefits of a VA Loan in Phoenix?
- Enjoy buying a home with a competitive interest rate which would not otherwise be available to you. This is because these loans are backed by the government, which makes them less risky.
- There is NO down payment on a VA loan.
- You are not required to pay for private mortgage insurance (PMI), even though you have not made any down payment on your home.
- Manage to pay off your VA loan early? You will never be charged a penalty for doing this.
- In some situations, the seller may pay the closing costs.
- If you happen to hit a rough patch with payments, the VA may be able to help you out.
- If you are disabled, you can get the Funding Fee waived (otherwise, the funding fee typically ranges from 1.25% – 3.3%).
- You can also take advantage of cash-out refinancing and interest rate reduction refinance loans (IRRRL). These programs can help you to convert equity into cash if necessary, or refinance for a lower interest rate on your payments. In fact, IRRRL is a very streamlined process.
Are You Eligible for a Phoenix VA Loan?
You do NOT have to be a first-time homebuyer to qualify for a VA loan! You do however need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Active duty, veteran, National Guard, or Reserve member. For each, there is a minimum active duty service requirement you need to meet (in many cases, it is as low as 90 days). Surviving spouses qualify as well.
- You must be purchasing a qualifying home, condominium, manufactured home, manufactured home lot or VA-approved project. Alternately, you may also build your own home from the ground up.
- VA home loans may be used for eligible improvements as well (such as energy efficiency upgrades).